[TN-Bird] Banding info on the Dyer Co. Trumpeter Swans

  • From: Mark Greene <greenesnake@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 08:03:13 -0800 (PST)

I received some info on the Dyer County Trumpeter Swans found by Bill Pulliam
and photogrpahed by Mike Todd. One of the birds was banded and had a yellow
neck collar with a number on it.

At Rick Knight's suggestion I contacted the Trumpeter Swan Society and gave
them the number and color of the neck collar on the bird that was collared. I
received the following e-mail:

Thanks for sending in this report.

00Y is a Wisconsin trumpeter, hatched in the wild and banded in 2007 at Nelson
Lake in Sawyer County.  Nelson Lake is near Hayward in north central
Wisconsin.  The lake is a popular vacation area, with lots of cottages and
homes on the  shore.  But it also has some nice isolated areas which provide
habitat for eagles, osprey and swans.  The Lake Association has been very
active in protection of the birds and comes out every year to help us capture
and band the swan cygnets.

Nelson Lake swans have traditionally wintered at Riverlands, West Alton, MO so
your observation is especially interesting.  Have you ever seen trumpeters at
this site before?

Patricia Manthey
Avian Ecologist, Bureau of Endangered Resources
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
3550 Mormon Coulee Road
La Crosse,  WI  54601

                       MAP RESOURCES