[TN-Bird] Bald Eagles on the TN River

  • From: "ANNA VARNEY" <arvarney@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 16:05:34 -0600

Marsh Creek
Off the TN River
Perry County, TN
11.26.03--Thanksgiving Eve
11.27.03--Thanksgiving Day

While anchoring out for Thanksgiving, we observed an adult Bald Eagle make a
couple of passes about 100' from our boat.  It then found a tree to perch on
about 1/2 mile away till the sun went down.  Funny that we had just gotten
done saying how much we have to be thankful for this year...

Next day, Thanksgiving, an adult Bald Eagle spent much time in the same
tree.  We watched for him until visibility got so bad that we couldn't.

TNWR
Busseltown Unit
Decatur County, TN
On the banks of the TN River
11.30.03

We had to make another river trip on Sunday 11.30.03 to take a look at the
tow (boat that pushes barges) that had sunk the day before while moored at a
sand and gravel operation on the TN River, Decatur County near Perryville,
TN.  Some of you might have seen this on the news.  The only parts visible
above the waterline are the radar/sonar twirly-bob and the Am flag, which
would both be attached to the top of the boat.  Water depths in this part of
the river reach at least 40'.   A diver went down to secure the boat
yesterday, but the effort to bring the boat up out of the water have been
delayed and the whole thing is under investigation.  Unfortunatly, deisel
fuel leaked from the boat's tanks and streaks of it was visible in some
locations, you could smell the deisel, too.  We watched the emergency
response team for 6 hours and figured that some piece of equipment was still
necessary for the operation to begin.

In the meantime, we took a cruise downriver.  At TNWR, Busseltown Unit, we
observed an adult Bald Eagle perched above the river, appx 1/2 mile north of
the Hwy 412 bridge.  This would make it about 3 miles from Marsh Creek.

Anna Varney
Linden, TN