[TN-Bird] Bald Eagle

  • From: "Roy and Melissa Turrentine" <roymel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bird line" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 22:11:09 -0600

While birding with our neice Hillary at Bedford Lake in Bedford Co (a TWRA
managed Lake) we had an immature bald eagle...a first for that area....we have
had them on the river but not at the lake itself. Also seen were:
8 species of ducks...
Green winged Teal
Bufflehead
Ring-necked Duck
Wood Duck
Canvasback
Black Duck
Mallard
Ruddy Duck

We assume the Hooded Mergansers were there but never saw them...
Yellow-rumped Warlers
Juncos
Female Yellow-shafted Flicker
Downy Woodpecker
Turkey Vulture
Wild Turkeys
Eastern Phoebe
Eastern Bluebird
Belted Kingfisher
Killdeer
Eastern Towhee (heard only)

Weather was cool and sunny.

it is such a delight to go out with "new birders" for she represents how I most
enjoy birding- excitement and just soak in every good look at the birds.
Our neice lives in Austin Texas and has taken up birding (making her aunt &
uncle so proud!). She took us to to a neat spot called Hornsby Bend- settling
ponds for sewage and compost spot for the city- while we visited in her in
March. We saw the Least Grebe while there ( a lifer for us)...also had a
Caracara and a beautiful look at the Lark Sparrow. Lots of ducks and a neat
Chimney Swift tower project was there on display.

On this Dec Wednesday, Hillary and I enjoyed watching the Phoebe in the
sunlight and had the flicker drinking from the lake while perched on drift wood
along the shore.

We went to Woods Reservoir also...had the Horned Grebes, Loons, Coots, Hooded
Mergansers, Savannah Sparrow, Red-tailed Hawk, Blue Jay,  E
Bluebird....pied-billed Grebe, bufflehead, Canada geese...It is located in
Franklin/Coffee Counties, I believe.

She had her first Brown Creeper at our house (it's been a regular here since
early October) in Normandy (Bedford Co)

Melissa Turrentine
Normandy TN
Bedford Co