[TN-Bird] Avovets - Jefferson Co.

  • From: "Ron and Dollyann" <aves7000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-Bird" <TN-Bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 09:59:30 -0400

TN-birders,

Sharon Bostick, Frank Bills, Dollyann Myers and I went out to Rankin Bottoms,
in Cocke County, to do a bit of birding yesterday evening. On the way there we
diverted to highway 25E/32, coming into Cocke Co. from Jefferson Co. At the
north end of the huge bridge that crosses the French Broad River (this is the
dividing line between Jefferson and Cocke counties), we stopped at a gravel
pullout on the east side. There you can walk down 20-30 yards to look out to
the east over a large expanse of water. About 1/4 mile to the east we found 7
American Avocets and Laughing Gull resting on the shoreline.

This is by far the largest number of this species we have ever seen in
Tennessee. All other records we personally have, have been of single birds.

Great birding,
Ron Hoff
Clinton, TN