[TN-Bird] Avocet - TVA Lake - Plus

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 00:24:51 EDT

Oct. 12, 2004
Mud Island/Ensley
Shelby Co. TN

An early morning, before work trip to Mud Island, produced a few good birds
on the Mississippi and its sandbars. The first bird I saw was a 2nd year Bald
Eagle feeding at the edge of the water and it was soon joined by an adult bird.
A Merlin came down the river below tree top level and made a detour to buzz
the two birds but really did not put too much into the effort. A single Horned
Grebe was seen floating down stream and a lone American White Pelican slept on
the sand. A coyote wandered over the sand looking for a morning meal. The
river continues to fall, exposing more and more habitat to scan.

After my appointment, I decided to invest an hours trip to Ensley. On TVA
Lake, a white bird caught my eye immediately, it was too large to be the young
Black-necked Stilt. The bins focused in on an adult, winter plumaged, male
Avocet preening at ease among the ducks. These birds really like to settle in
with
ducks. A few quick photos for the plumage and sure enough the Black-necked
Stilt walked into the back ground. The immature Black-necked Stilt has been
joined by an adult female but the two never interacted or fed near each other.

At the Pits, there was just not enough time to go through all the birds but a
Spotted Sandpiper was found, a species that I have missed over the last
couple of weeks. Lesser Yellowlegs and Stilt numbers have really grown. Total
shorebird species on the quick trip was 16 bringing the total for the week so
far
to 19. Pretty good for late fall shorebirds!!

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN