[TN-Bird] Arkansas birds/NABS conference

  • From: Duane Rice <drbirdsong4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 19:40:29 -0500

While in Hot Springs Arkansas for my niece's wedding on Thursday August 25th,
large numbers of Common Nighthawks were seen feeding over the hotel, which was
reflecting a lot of light. I later heard a Barred Owl when I went out later
that evening.
While in Searcy on Saturday, August 27th, my sister Jan and I went in search of
Scissor-tailed Flycatchers and we were not disappointed. Around sundown on Gum
Springs Road we came upon two dozen flycatchers of all ages and sexes feeding
on all sorts of insects in the fading light. It was the most Scissor-tails I've
ever seen in one location.
A sight to behold.
Unfortunately, I didn't have time to get over to Bald Knob this trip, usually a
good place for many species of ducks.

Duane Rice
Cheatham County, Tennessee

ps
The North American Bluebird Society Conference
will be in Jackson,Tennessee
September 15th-18th
Ya'll Come!