[TN-Bird] American White Pelican, Hampton, TN

  • From: AHoodedWarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 15:16:29 EDT

At about 2:45 p.m. today (Saturday, July 17) I was outside in my yard at home
in Hampton, TN. David Thometz was with me, and he noticed a soaring bird and
asked me if it was a hawk. I could tell with the naked eye the bird, soaring
very high, was not a hawk or vulture. I thought it might possibly be a heron,
so I went inside to get my binoculars.
Back outside, I focused my binoculars on an unmistakable American White
Pelican. The pelican continued to soar in wide circles. The huge size and black
and
white patterns were impossible to miss as well as the yellow-orange pelican
bill.

I also alerted my parents. My mother managed to get her own look through her
binoculars, but my father never managed to get a look at the pelican in
binoculars.

After soaring for several minutes, the pelican veered off, heading east along
the Simerly Creek valley.

I have seen White Pelicans in Florida and Idaho and Dave Thometz has seen
them in Utah and Idaho. I never imagined one would be a fly-over at my home.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, TN