[TN-Bird] American Avocet and Little Blue Heron - Allen Fossil (Steam) Plant ash ponds, Aug 24, 2014

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "kings4birds@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 19:10:35 -0400 (EDT)

 An American Avocet, possibly a second individual from one seen across the way
at the Pits, and an immature Little Blue Heron were seen at TVA Lake today, the
Allen Steam Plant ash ponds off Riverport Rd. in Memphis. I had just left the
Pits where an avocet was loafing with whistling-ducks on one of the central
ponds, and did not go back there to see if this was a second individual; but,
it was sitting down when I first got there, and I had not seen any birds flying
as I drove.

Gail King
5595 Ashley Sq. N.
Memphis, TN 38120

"What is this thing that lifts my heart to the heavens?" Jeff Wilson

Allen Fossil (Steam) Plant ash ponds, Shelby, US-TN
Aug 24, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.2 mile(s)
9 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose   10
Great Blue Heron   1
Great Egret   1
Little Blue Heron   1     Much smaller than nearby Great
Egret; all white plumage; yellowish, not dark, legs; darker tip on
dull grayish-colored bill; dark lores
American Avocet   1     I had just seen an avocet
across Riverport Rd., at the Pits; I did not go back there to make sure this
was
a second one, but I had not seen any birds flying as I drove across, and this
bird was sitting down when I first saw it. Unmistakeable black and white wings,
white body with only a hint of orange on the head and neck; long, thin,
upturned
bill.
Killdeer   X
peep sp.   X     Too far away to i.d. with my bins and
scope.
Least Tern  3
Barn Swallow   2
European Starling  17     On the wires, in the edges, and on
the spit with geese, killdeer, and peeps.

View this checklist online at