[TN-Bird] A comment about the Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge and its magic

  • From: Viclcsw@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2012 11:38:31 -0500 (EST)

Just another note on the heels of Jeff Wilson's comments which I certainly
echo and appreciate.  I received this note from a lady in Tennessee on Dec
30th in response to an article about the Hooded crane that I posted on
facebook.  Her comment is in reference to the Hiwassee Wildlife  Refuge:

I  remember my first trip there. I only live an hour away and didn't even
know what  a Sandhill Crane was. Imagine what a spectacular surprise to see
over 10,000 of  them AND my first Bald and Golden Eagles! I was literally
speechless, I could  not believe such a magical place existed! This will be my
1 year old daughter's  first trip there this year...

It made me wonder how many people have had the same experience.  This  was
very similar to my experience in 1999 when I first visited the Sandhill
Crane Festival and was introduced to sandhill cranes at the same time I saw my
first bald eagles and several golden eagles in the wild.  This also was my
introduction to TN Ornithological Society members who generously shared
their  scopes and their knowledge.  The next year the first experimental
ultralight migration with sandhill cranes took place paving the way for the
re-introduction of whooping cranes to the east.  In 2001 I saw my  first
whooping crane during the first whooping crane ultralight-led  migration
departing
from the Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge.

I cannot say enough about the value of Tennessee's Wildlife refuges  and
the tireless work of the many officers and personnel of the Tennessee
Wildlife Resources Agency.  I hope that we can put our collective heads
together
and create new and more effective ways to finance and support the  work of
TWRA and its protection of our lands, waterways and  wildlife in 2012.

Vickie Henderson
Knoxville, TN
Knox County

_http://_ (http://vickiehendersonsketchbook.blogspot.com/)