[TN-Bird] 3000+ shorebirds at pits/ 13 species/Plus

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 20:33:43 EDT

July 17, 2004
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

After a quick check on the Western Kingbirds, I spent 6 hours with the Wind
Birds at the Ensley pits. The north winds were dropping small flocks in for the
first few hours. I wait each year for the tide to come to flood time and this
is it.

The following species presented themselves for perusal: Semipalmated
Plover-1, Killdeer - 761, Black-necked Stilts (124 adults- 36 black and white
juniors
and 22 fuzzy young with 16 active nests-one hatching young at the time) total
182, Lesser Yellowlegs - 7, Solitary Sandpiper - 36, Spotted Sandpiper - 9,
SANDERLING - 1, Semipalmated Sandpiper - 69,
Western Sandpiper-25, Least Sandpiper - 1387, Pectoral Sandpiper - 334, Stilt
Sandpiper - 9 and last but not least, a completely unexpected WILSON'S SNIPE.

The Wilson's Snipe just plopped down out in the open right in front of me, it
was in very fine plumage and posed for photos; it is not a species I usually
see in July. It never fed but just preened and went to sleep so it probably
will not stay but I enjoyed the sharp plumage it was in. The Sanderling was
seen
early and not relocated after the first hour.

On the Duck Front, the Blue-winged Teal female has raised 5 young to flying
size and a Shoveler in still present, I only saw it at a distance going away
and could not make out if it was the male in eclipse plumage or the female. If
it is the male maybe the female is brooding some eggs!

Speaking of eggs, the Western Kingbirds are feeding young at one nest and
fledglings at another location where a single Eastern Kingbird was busy feeding
3
fledged youngsters. It looks like two other Western Kingbird nests are still
being attended but I could not get a handle on any activity at the 5th site.
They may have fledged young and moved them over to the McKellar Lake side.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN