<TW>Weekend of 17 and 18 April 2010

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thisweekend@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 14:14:55 -0500

.=:  T H I S    W E E K E N D  :=.
     from Father Pat Umberger

I R E L A N D    2 0 1 0
$2799 from O'Hare, $2859 from La Crosse
SHEET ARE NOW ONLINE! - SIGN UP NOW!
For the Itinerary for the trip. Follow the link from  HYPERLINK
www.frpat.com  www.frpat.com  for details. Brochures are available at the
entrances of Saint Pat's Church as well. Hotels have been chosen and links
are at the Web Site. Air Space has now been reserved from La Crosse, WI and
O'Hare Airport in Chicago. It will be a non-stop flight on American Airlines
from O'Hare to Dublin. 18 or fewer seats from La Crosse are available. If
you're interested visit my Web Site and sign up for informational e-mails.
HYPERLINK www.frpat.com  www.frpat.com

.=:  V O L U M E   2 0 1 0 , Number 04-18 :=.

.=:  T H I S   W E E K E N D ' S   S C R I P T U R E S  :=.

The Third Sunday of Easter, Year C.
Weekend of 17 and 18 April 2010

.=:  R E F L E C T I O N    Q U E S T I O N S  :-.

The Scriptures for this weekend are found here:
   www.nccbuscc.org/nab

"We must obey God rather than men."  Even when being brought in front of the
Sanhedrin Jesus disciples said this.  When do we obey God rather than men?
Is it easier to do this in dramatic or in simple ways?  Why is it so easy to
judge, gossip, use bad language, etc.?

"So they left the presence of the Sanhedrin, rejoicing that they had been
found worthy to suffer dishonor for the sake of the name."  When have we
suffered for the sake of the name of Jesus?  Why?  Why not?

So he said to them, "Cast the net over the right side of the boat and you
will find something."  Why would fishermen listen to Jesus, someone who had
been raised inland and who likely didn't have much experience fishing?

"Jesus came over and took the bread and gave it to them, and in like manner
the fish."  Was this meal Eucharistic?  Why or why not?

Jesus said to him, "Feed my sheep."  Why did Jesus ask Simon Peter three
times if he loved him?  What did Jesus mean by saying "Feed my sheep?"  In
what ways are we called to feed Jesus sheep?  In what sense are we Jesus
sheep?

"Amen, amen, I say to you, when you were younger, you used to dress yourself
and go where you wanted; but when you grow old, you will stretch out your
hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to
go." He said this signifying by what kind of death he would glorify God. And
when he had said this, he said to him, "Follow me."  In what ways does
Easter require us to "grow up?"  What responsibilities do we find it
difficult to accept?
How are these Scriptures comforting?  Challenging?
.=:  S P I R I T U A L   R E F L E C T I O N   :=.

"We must obey God rather than men."  Jesus disciples were called to be
people of great courage.  Even when they were called before the Sanhedrin,
they held firm.  Even if their lives would be required of them, they were
ready.  Their faith was that strong!

We might imagine what it would be like to be called into court and asked to
deny God.  We might ask ourselves first how people would identify us as a
disciple of Jesus.  It is good for us to take a look at our lives and
determine how we live differently from others because of our faith in Jesus.

We might take a stand and be faithful to our belief in Jesus.  There are so
many ways though, that we are called to obey God rather than men.  How
quickly we can falter when we are faced with gossip.  When we participate,
we obey men rather than God.  When we are judgmental or when we use bad
language or tell unworthy stories we do the same.  We need to approach life
with our eyes open and know where the temptations lie.  Things are always
better when we obey God.

Peter faltered.  We recall that he denied knowing Jesus and did it three
times.  In today's Gospel Jesus asks him three times if he loves him.  After
each response Jesus says, "Feed my sheep."  He helps Peter to see that the
resurrection means that he and the other disciples will have to grow up. The
time is over to wait for Jesus to tell them what to do.  They would have to
be faithful to Jesus call and strengthened in their faith in the
resurrection in order to succeed in their mission.

We have received the same call.  We can't forget about the events of these
days and weeks.  We need to allow the power of the resurrection to be
unleashed in our lives as well.  We need to "grow up" as well and accept
responsibility for the world around us.  We will be called many times this
week to step up to the plate and obey God and God's will.

Around us there are many friends, co-workers, acquaintances and family
members.  We never know who is looking to us for direction.  We help others
find a direction in life by the steps we take and the example we set.

May we follow God faithfully.  May we obey God above the values of the
world. May our steps be true.  May those who follow our example draw closer
to God and to those around them.

We have plenty to do this week.  We can be aware and wary of the values of
the world.  We can remember often that God is more powerful than our human
weakness.  We can live the power of the resurrection and do our own part to
transform the world we live in.  Have a good week!

(c)MMX Fr. Pat Umberger.  This Spiritual Reflection is found each week at
the Web Site www. frpat.com.  Feel free to link to this page or reproduce
them for parish use as long as this credit remains.

<TW>This Weekend is free, and comes from:
in Wisconsin U.S.A.
Web Site: www.frpat.com

      www.frpat.com/donation.htm

.=:  F O R W A R D I N G  :=.

You can also set your account to Vacation Mode there.