<TW>Weekend of 14 and 15 March 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 18:52:27 -0600

.=:  T H I S    W E E K E N D  :=.
     from Father Pat Umberger

I ' M    B A C K
I'm back at home after a long ordeal.  After the Stem Cell transplant I had
some problems with a high temperature, swelling, etc.  They haven't
pinpointed the problem yet, but I had emergency surgery with a less than 50%
chance of making it even through the surgery.  But I survived, although I
was completely unconscious for two weeks and remember nothing of it. I
returned and went to a rehab center for three weeks to get moving and
walking again.  When I returned home I could stand up for six minutes.  But
my strength is slowly returning and I had Mass on Friday morning for the
first time, and tonight as well.  Thanks so much for your prayers on my
behalf.  Don't stop praying now!

.=:  V O L U M E   2 0 0 9 , Number 03-15 :=.

.=:  T H I S   W E E K E N D ' S   S C R I P T U R E S  :=.

The Third Sunday of Lent, Year B.
Weekend of 14 and 15 March 2009

The Ten Commandments.  Why don't we like to hear about "Commandments?" How
do God's commandments restrict us?  Free us?

"Lord, you have the words of everlasting life."  How do the Commandments
give life?

Can we keep the Commandments simply by avoiding doing wrong?  What positive
things do we need to do in order to keep the Commandments?

"He told those who were dwelling doves: 'Get them out of here!  Stop turning
my Father's house into a marketplace!'"   Why did Jesus get so angry?  How
can we "overdue" the Commandments and warp their meanings?

How do we show zeal for the Lord's house?
How are these Scriptures comforting?  Challenging?
.=:  S P I R I T U A L   R E F L E C T I O N   :=.

Even small children don't enjoy hearing the word, "No!"  As we grow older we
believe we're also more responsible.  We can see the word "no" as being
restrictive.  It can make us rebel and do things our own way.  Sometimes we
do, and find how easily we can hurt ourselves and those around us.

God made us.  God keeps us in existence.  God has given us a plan for living
good lives.  That plan leads to justice and happiness for ourselves and
those around us.  All we have to do is live God's commandments and many good
things happen.  Why then, is it so difficult?

Our society tells us that we should do what we want and have what we want.
It stresses success and prosperity, often at the expense of those around us.
We sometimes work so long and hard we have little time left for people, even
our own family members and friends.  When we have time off, it's easy for us
to be selfish with it.  We can easily devote most of our time and energy to
getting what we want, and when we want it.  We can grasp all opportunities
to do just that.

God gives us Commandments.  They're not suggestions at all!  They're very
much like an owner's manual that leads to happiness, joy, faith, and justice
that leads to peace.  When we live them, we naturally grow closer to God and
to those around us.

Sometimes we can try to live God's Commandments by simply avoiding evil.  If
we're honest, we have to admit that an ordinary chair can keep God's
Commandments in that way, and not do anything at all.  In order to keep the
Commandments we need to love God, speak good and kind words, practice our
faith, honor our parents and those around us, stand up for the value of
life, be pure and faithful, be honest and fair, speak kindly and honestly
about those around us, and not become obsessed with what is not ours.  Seems
like a tall order, doesn't it?

Again, when we live the Commandments, we become happier and more faithful.
We have more friends and appreciate family members and friends in a deep and
profound way.  We think more of others and less of ourselves.  "Things"
don't seem very important to us at all.

In today's Gospel, Jesus becomes upset with people selling things in the
temple.  Jesus saw through their outward appearance.  Rather than providing
for the religious needs of their friends, they were enriching themselves and
"using" God's law for their own benefit.  Jesus shows them that it is not
right to turn the "Father's house into a marketplace."  Zeal for God's house
consumed Jesus.  He needed the people to see what true faith was all about.

This week we can spend some time considering the value of the Commandments
of God.  We can evaluate which things are lasting and worth our time and
effort and which are extraneous.  We can even look at our worship and strive
to be people who build the faith of those around us by our observance and
example.

Let's listen to the Lord's call this week, follow that call and set a good
example for those around us to follow.  Have a good week!

(c)MMVIII Fr. Pat Umberger.  This Spiritual Reflection is found each week at
the Web Site www.frpat.com. Feel free to link to this page or reproduce them
for parish use as long as this credit remains.

<TW>This Weekend is free, and comes from:
in Wisconsin U.S.A.
Web Site: www.frpat.com

      www.frpat.com/donation.htm

.=:  F O R W A R D I N G  :=.

You can also set your account to Vacation Mode there.