<TW>Weekend of 13 and 14 December 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 16:44:59 -0600

.=:  T H I S    W E E K E N D  :=.
     from Father Pat Umberger

M Y    S T E M    C E L L    T R A N S P L A N T
I began the process at Mayo Clinic in Rochester on 01 December. Visit my Web
Site for a complete description.  Just follow the front page link from:
www.frpat.com.  There's daily progress too, at: www.frpat.com/mayoblog

A D V E N T     P A G E S

Our Advent Pages are up and running. There are special pages for Saint
Nicholas (December 6), Our Lady of Guadalupe, Juan Diego and more.  There
are Advent resources and special blessings for Advent, our Nativity Scene,
Christmas Tree, Advent Wreath and more.  There are resources for
Reconciliation available in both English and Spanish. Visit our Web Site and
click the banner link from: www.frpat.com

Here's a great way to help Saint Patrick's Parish and have something to look
forward to all year long. Our Adesse Raffle Calendars offer a prize every
day in 2009 ... from $30 to $500.  Prizes total $16,755.  Only 3000
calendars are sold.  If you're interested in helping out, just follow the
banner link from:  www.stpatz.com

.=:  V O L U M E   2 0 0 8 , Number 12-14 :=.

.=:  T H I S   W E E K E N D ' S   S C R I P T U R E S  :=.

The Third Sunday of Advent, Year B.
Weekend of 13 and 14 December 2008

"The spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me, because the LORD has anointed me; he
has sent me to bring glad tidings to the poor, to heal the brokenhearted, to
proclaim liberty to the captives and release to the prisoners, to announce a
year of favor from the LORD and a day of vindication by our God." All of us
have been anointed by the Lord. How can we use the Lord's strength to do all
these things?

"As the earth brings forth its plants, and a garden makes its growth spring
up, so will the Lord GOD make justice and praise spring up before all the
nations." If there were justice would there be peace? Can there be peace
without justice? How can we build justice this season?

"My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord; my spirit rejoices in God my
Savior, for he has looked upon his lowly servant. From this day all
generations will call me blessed:" These are Mary's words. Her job was not
an easy one. How could she, despite her difficulties, continue to find joy
in God? How can we?

"May the God of peace make you perfectly holy and may you entirely, spirit,
soul, and body, be preserved blameless for the coming of our Lord Jesus
Christ. The one who calls you is faithful, and he will also accomplish it."
What can God accomplish if we accomplish? Are we willing to do our part, to
let him?

"He was not the light, but came to testify to the light." Both Mary and John
the Baptist had this kind of humility. Where did they get the courage to
continue to testify to the light?

John answered them, "I baptize with water; but there is one among you whom
you do not recognize, the one who is coming after me, whose sandal strap I
am not worthy to untie." As fathers and mothers, as grandparents, as big
brothers and sisters, can we summon this kind of humility? Can we be the
ones who simply point the way to the one to come? Can we do this without
first walking in this way ourselves?

How are these Scriptures comforting?  Challenging?

.=:  S P I R I T U A L   R E F L E C T I O N   :=.

"My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord; my spirit rejoices in God my
Savior." These are Mary's words as she strives each day to say "yes" to God.
She knew that her place was to bring Jesus into the world. Her job was not
an easy one. Yet she continued to find joy and fulfillment as she lived her
challenging life, always giving glory to God.

Many of us find joy in our children, our grandchildren, our husband or wife,
boyfriend or girlfriend. We can find joy too, in our job, playing a sport or
a musical instrument, writing poetry or painting. Many of us find joy in
helping others. If we're honest, we'll admit that we find joy most often
when we're not even looking for it. The ordinary living out of our lives can
bring us joy. It should!

"The spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me, because the LORD has anointed me; he
has sent me to bring glad tidings to the poor, to heal the brokenhearted, to
proclaim liberty to the captives and release to the prisoners, to announce a
year of favor from the LORD and a day of vindication by our God." All of us
have been anointed by the LORD. We too are sent to bring glad tidings,
freedom and justice to those who lack these things. As we prepare for the
coming of Jesus at Christmas and at the end of time we're not apt to find
much joy if we focus too much on ourselves, on what we'd like and what we'd
like our lives to be like. Jesus, Mary and John the Baptist all encourage us
to focus on others.

"May the God of peace make you perfectly holy and may you entirely, spirit,
soul, and body, be preserved blameless for the coming of our Lord Jesus
Christ. The one who calls you is faithful, and he will also accomplish it."
Rather than focusing on the faults and failings of others, we can look for
their goodness. Rather than becoming disheartened by our own failings, we
can remember how patient God is with us. We can count on God's faithfulness
as we ready ourselves to let go of anything that separates us from God or
from others.

As Christmas comes nearer we prepare for the Sacrament of Reconciliation. We
can use this week to become ready to give our faults and failings to God. We
can follow the Baptizer's advice to lower the mountains, fill in the valleys
and to prepare a highway for God. As we begin to walk in the steps of Jesus
we'll find that it is very natural for our children and grandchildren to do
the same. That knowledge can bring joy to us and to our whole community. And
we'll be ready for Jesus to come to us at Christmas, and at the end of time
as well. Have a good week!

(c)MMVIII Fr. Pat Umberger.  This Spiritual Reflection is found each week at
the Web Site www.frpat.com. Feel free to link to this page or reproduce them
for parish use as long as this credit remains.

<TW>This Weekend is free, and comes from:
in Wisconsin U.S.A.
Web Site: www.frpat.com

      www.frpat.com/donation.htm

.=:  F O R W A R D I N G  :=.

You can also set your account to Vacation Mode there.