<TW>Weekend of 05 and 06 August 2006

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 11:51:05 -0500

.=:  T H I S    W E E K E N D  :=.
     from Father Pat Umberger

Fatima / Lourdes/ Spain /France 2006

October 2-13, 2006.  Several seats may still be available.

As always, the Pilgrimage Brochure, map of our travels, links to our Hotels
and much more are available at my Web Site.  Just click the link from:

        www.frpat.com

.=:  V O L U M E   2 0 0 6 , Number 08-06  :=.

.=:  T H I S   W E E K E N D ' S   S C R I P T U R E S  :=.

The Eighteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year B.
The Transfiguration of the Lord
Weekend of 05 and 06 August 2006

Follow this link for this weekend's Scriptures:
   www.nccbuscc.org/nab/

.=:  R E F L E C T I O N   Q U E S T I O N S  :=.

"His clothing was snow bright, and the hair on his head as white as wool;
his throne was flames of fire, with wheels of burning fire. A surging stream
of fire flowed out from where he sat; thousands upon thousands were
ministering to him, and myriads upon myriads attended him. The court was
convened and the books were opened."   How would we react to such a scene?
When have we experienced the glory of God?

"The Lord is king, the most high over all the earth."  If we truly believed
this, how would our lives have to change?  What kinds of problems would
remain in the world?  Which problems could we solve ... in our families, at
work or school, in our community?

"You will do well to be attentive to it, as to a lamp shining in a dark
place, until day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts."  This is
how we are to act after experiencing the glory of God.  What do we look to
when we search in the darkness?  When do we search for satisfaction and
happiness in places that don't satisfy?

"And he was transfigured before them, and his clothes became dazzling white,
such as no fuller on earth could bleach them."  When are the times when we
most yearn to see this kind of glory?  Can we be satisfied by this Gospel
account and await the day when "the morning star rises" in our hearts?

"Rabbi, it is good that we are here! Let us make three tents: one for you,
one for Moses, and one for Elijah."  When are we tempted to just bask in
God's glory or in the happiness of a wonderful experience and not want to be
faced with the realities of life any more?  How can those experiences help
us go on with new strength and courage?

"This is my beloved Son. Listen to him."  What message are we supposed to
listen to?  How do we know that?  Can we become willing to listen to and
follow the word of God?

How are these Scriptures comforting?  Challenging?

(c)MMVI Fr. Pat Umberger.  These Reflection Questions are found each week at
the Web Site www.frpat.com.  Feel free to link to this page or reproduce
them for parish use as long as this credit remains.

.=:  S P I R I T U A L   R E F L E C T I O N   :=.

The clouds open ... a vision appears ... a voice is heard! Isn't that the
kind of scene that is only seen in movies, read about in books or found in
the bible? How wonderful it would be if we could be there to see such a
scene. Our doubts could be erased. We could live on in new faith and hope.
Our lives would be forever changed!

Some of Jesus disciples were there when it happened. They saw the connection
between Jesus, Moses and Elijah. Everything began to make sense to them.
They were so astounded and satisfied that they were tempted to stay up on
the mountain. They would make three tents, for Jesus, Moses and Elijah. Why
go down the mountain again to hear of the selfishness and intrigue that
threatened their lives? Why not stay where it was safe and simply relish the
experience.

Jesus helped them to see that they were called to do new work. They would
need every bit of the strength they received through witnessing the
Transfiguration. They would need to move from the security of the moment and
get involved again in the messiness of life around them. They were called to
continue to do God's work.

In our lives we can have transfiguration experiences, too. Our lives can be
forever changed. Things that were important move into the background as we
strive for what really matters. We can be transfigured by the love and trust
of another person ... a boyfriend or girlfriend, a teacher or coach. We
learn that someone outside our family sees good in us. We can come to
believe in that goodness.

We can succeed at something we thought impossible. We can feel God's awesome
presence at our First Reconciliation and First Eucharist. We can commit
ourselves to God and the Church at Confirmation. We can hold our own child
in our arms and realize God continued to create through us. We can admit our
powerlessness over a certain sin or addiction and come to see how God can do
for us what we could never do for ourselves. We can be strengthened through
these wonderful experiences.

Then we need to move on! Jesus disciples were called to use the strength of
the Transfiguration to continue God work. We are called to continue that
same work. This week we can spend some time considering the times we have
experienced God's glory. We can use this strength to respond to the needs of
those around us. We can help others to see God's glory as well. Have a good
week!

<TW>This Weekend is free, and comes from:
in Wisconsin U.S.A.
Web Site: www.frpat.com

      www.frpat.com/donation.htm

.=:  F O R W A R D I N G  :=.