[THIN] ver OT: Java VM question

  • From: "Lilley, Brian" <brian.lilley@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 14:11:18 +0100

I know this is OT, but this list has a wealth of brainboxes which I thought
may be able to shed some light on an issue we have...
We are seeing some odd things with ClearCase, Visual Studio.NET and Windows XP
which we think are related to Java.
When you launch Visual Studio.NET on a Windows XP machine (which doesn't have
ClearCase nor a JVM installed), there is no problem. When you launch Visual
Studio.NET on a Windows XP machine with ClearCase installed, and you run
FileMon at the same time, you see ClearCase dlls being touched. If you clear
out the Path environment variable (a necessary step in the build script) then
these dlls aren't found, but sometimes this is not a problem and sometimes it
is (VS.NET returns an error). We suspect the error happens if your VS.NET is
set up to use ClearCase as its source code tool...and the ClearCase is running
the Java Runtime environment...
This link
<http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jsp?thread=511680&forum=57&message=2432304>
describes a similar situation except Visual Studio is not in the picture. In
this case as soon as any Java app is run, the ClearCase dlls are being
looked-for.
This seems really odd. It's almost as if installing ClearCase has installed a
JVM which, as soon as it is loaded, looks for the ClearCase dlls and fails if
they are not found.
Have you heard of anything like this before? Does installing ClearCase install
a JVM with it?
Cheers,
Brian

Brian Lilley