[THIN] usrclass.dat problem

  • From: Lennart Koschella <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:23:05 +0100

Hello!

We discovered a problem in our TS environment concerning the usrclass.dat file in each user's profile:

usrclass.dat contains the HKCU\Software\Classes registry hive which builds together with HKLM\Software\Classes the HKCR key. Originally, HKCU\Software\Classes is empty but can be filled with entries which override the corresponding HKLM\Software\Classes entries. We use this mechanism to distinguish the few users which use full Acrobat 6.0 from the many which use Acrobat Reader by putting some subkeys into HKCU\Software\Classes\AcroExch. In general it works this way.

However, there's a permission problem: We have 4 Metaframe servers (MFXP 1.0 FR3 on Windows 2000 SP3) in a workgroup environment managed by Novell Zenworks' "Dynamic Local Users" feature (roaming profiles stored on a Novell volume). Thus each user has a different SID on each Metaframe server, but the access control list to HKCU\Software\Classes contains the SID of this user on *one* server. If the user logs on to another server, he has no permissions to access this part of the registry, because his SID is not part of its ACL.

(The ACL to the whole HKCU key, however, always correctly shows the user's SID on the server he has logged on.)

Is this a general problem, a bug, or do we something that shouldn't be done?

With kind regards,

Lennart Koschella
System Adminstrator
University Hospital Tuebingen/Germany