[THIN] Re: stop new "trusted" print drivers

  • From: "Mack, Rick" <Rick.Mack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 08:36:06 +1000

Hi Pavlo,
This was addressed initially in NT 4.0. Can't find the KB article at the
moment but this is something I wrote a while ago. Should still be current.
----

It is important to be able to control which printer drivers are loaded and
used on Metaframe servers. While the default behaviour uses automatic
installation of drivers and allows driver installation by non-admin users,
this can be modified so that driver installation is restricted to
administrators only, and/or from a safe printer driver source only.

Four registry entries, under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet
\Control\Print\ LanMan Print Services\Servers control how printer drivers
are installed on NT systems.

AddPrinterDrivers,      reg_dword, a value of 1 indicates that drivers will
NOT be automatically installed as needed.

EnablePrinterSecurity, reg_dword, controls who can add printer drivers. A
value of 1 indicates that only admins can install printer drivers. However
if LoadTrustedDrivers is set to 1 then if EnablePrinterSecurity is set to "
0", then the client looks for drivers in TrustedDriverPath\2 folder. When it
is set to " 1", it (admin only) looks for drivers under TrustedDriverPath.

LoadTrustedDrivers,     reg_dword, a value of 1 indicates that drivers can
be installed only from the trusted print server location specified by the
TrustedDriverPath value.

TrustedDriverPath,      reg_expand_sz,  defines the location of the
appropriate trusted printer driver share. Eg \\server1\pdrivers. It is
possible to use locally stored printer drivers by using
\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86 as the driver location.

Some examples are:

AddPrinterDrivers=0
LoadTrustedDrivers=1
EnablePrinterSecurity=0
TrustedDriverPath:\\printserver\print$

In this case, for any user, the client automatically gets the driver from
\\printserver\print$\2

AddPrinterDrivers=0
LoadTrustedDrivers=1
EnablePrinterSecurity=1
TrustedDriverPath=REG_EXPAND_SZ:\\printserver\print$\

In this case, the client (admin only) gets the driver from
\\printserver\print$\w32x86

AddPrinterDrivers=1
LoadTrustedDrivers=0
EnablePrinterSecurity=1
TrustedDriverPath=

In this case, no automatic driver installation occurs for anyone, and only
admins can install drivers manually.
------

Regards,

Rick