[THIN] Re: msiexec

  • From: "Webster" <Webster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 14:31:00 -0600

And again to answer my own question.  The TS 2008 RK, pages 255 and 256 says
using MSIEXEC does not require placing the server in install mode first.

Webster

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Webster
Subject: [THIN] Re: msiexec

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Webster
Subject: [THIN] msiexec

Does MSIEXEC on Server 2003 or Server 2008 automatically handle the "Change
User" stuff?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa369521(VS.85).aspx says:

Windows Installer can perform per-machine installations without using
install mode. It is unnecessary to place the computer into install mode to
perform a per-machine installation. Windows Installer does not automatically
place the computer in install mode, regardless of the type of installation.
For more information about per-machine installations see the
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa367559(VS.85).aspx> ALLUSERS
property.

It seems to be saying two things.

1.  Install mode is not necessary when using MSIEXEC

2.  MSIEXEC does not put the TS into install mode.

So I should be able to run an install using msiexec /I misfile.msi without
having to do change user /install first.

Webster