[THIN] Re: mem and cpu control

  • From: "Timothy R. Mangan" <tmangan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 10:43:51 -0400

I may not post as much any more, but I do lurk around sometimes.

If I remember correctly, Threadmaster stopped being free for commercial use
at one point, so that should be pointed out.

As to the memory.

You can't place a limit (e.g.: WSRM quotas) on how much memory a process can
use without crashing apps.

What you can do is limit apps from needing as much.  The RTO / Citrix
approach (or similar ideas used by Appsense, Tricerat, and others) reduces
memory usage by fixing up dlls.   This has a much bigger impact on a
terminal server than it would a desktop or non-ts server, due to the greater
amount of dll sharing that happens on a multi-user system.

Also, another approach you may find out there are snake-oil memory saving
tricks that should be avoided.  Generally, these tricks cause all currently
used memory in ram to get paged out to the page file in order to free up
ram.  Really bad idea.