[THIN] Re: XP, Windows and RAM

  • From: "BRUTON, Malcolm, GBM" <Malcolm.BRUTON@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 08:51:45 +0100

I think the bigger problem is that you normally need hardware to last a
large number of years.  Most organisations try and keep there hardware till
it dies.  Although we only use 32 bit OS's at present we already spec our
Citrix servers with 8GB and Dual core Procs.  If we didn't do this now we
would never get the money latter to upgrade.  The thought process here is
that when you go to 64 bit in a year or 2 when it has much more support in
theory your hardware will cope without upgrades.  Looking back at some of
our older servers it sometimes cost more to upgrade memory (you have to
discard all of it and buy all new ram) than what it does to buy a new
complete server.

We currently use 2000 Enterprise with PAE and in extreme cases the /3GB
switch because of horrible apps already.

Malcolm