[THIN] Re: [Win 2012 RDS multiple simultaneous connections - Not working

  • From: Michael Leone <oozerdude@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ntsysadm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ntsysadm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 16:09:28 -0400

OK, so what am I doing wrong here? I need my users to be able to log
into RDS in 2 different locations simultaneously, *and* be able to run
applications.

So I set this, in GP:

Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components,
Remote Desktop Services, Remote Desktop Session Host, Connection,

Restrict RDS users to a single RDS session

set to DISABLED. If I do a RSOP (Resulting Set of Policy) on the user
I am testing with, on each of the 2 computers they are using, I do see
that setting as DISABLED.

All should be good, right?

Wrong.

I can log into RDS as the same user from 2 machines at the same time.
I can start a RemoteApp on machine #1, and it all starts fine. When I
switch over to machine #2, and attempt to start any RemoteApp -
whether the one I am running on machine #1 or any other RemoteApp -
machine #2 tells me:

Your Remote Desktop Services session has ended

Another user connected to the remote computer, so you connection was
lost. Try connecting again, or contact your network administrator or
technical support group.

Why?? :-(

(and on machine #1, the RemoteApp I was trying to start on machine #2
starts up. I suppose that's good, in it's own way)

What I need is for my users to be able to be logged in, and *running*,
RemoteApps on multiple machines simultaneously. For example, I need to
start Notepad on machine #1; leave it there and running; go over to
machine #2; start up Calculator. I need machine #2 to see Calculator,
and #1 to see Notepad.

And I need neither session to close and transfer it's RemoteApps over
to the other session. I want'em both open, and both have their apps
still running.

What do I need to accomplish that? Obviously, that GPO setting isn't
it. Or isn't the only setting needed.  Or isn't working for me. So I
am missing some fundamental setting or concept here ...

Is anyone doing what I described as what I want, and is using Win2012
RDS to do it? If so, what are you doing that I am not doing?

I mean, technically I do have 2 sessions at once, one on #1 and one on
#2. But I can use only 1 of them at a time. Is there any way to have
both of them active at once, so that there are apps executing on #1
and on #2 simultaneously?

I am told this currently works on our Citrix but I have not been able
to test it.