[THIN] Re: Whats is the packet size for ica packet in Thin Cl ient ?

  • From: Mark Cook <mc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 11:43:17 +0100

Avien,

Do you mean bandwidth  as opposed to packet size ?  If so, the official
story from  Citrix is actually somewhere between 5 to 20k, although this is
only for the ICA traffic eg. keyboard, mouse & video (ie. Window sizes,
positions and the like) traffic.  This does NOT include stuff such as bitmap
images, audio streams and AFAIK client mapping (& data) such as drive and
printer information.  This additional data will consume all available
bandwidth, to see what I mean download BAT from my website
www.wizbang.org.uk <http://www.wizbang.org.uk/>  and run it against a
session citrix session (must run it on a citrix server!), you will see the
traffic peak when bitmaps and stuff are transferred to the client and audio
data etc.

FYI - I actually ran a session over the weekend from a dialup connection
(running at about 44kbps) and had a VNC session (via GENCONTROL) inside the
ICA session and it was usable, obviously the VNC stuff struggled at times
but the ICA session was fine !

Mark