[THIN] Re: What is the best way

  • From: "Rick Mack" <ulrich.mack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 05:14:59 +1000

Hi Jason,

Citrix have two free utilities, addprinter and stressprinters that will do
what you want.

StressPrinter is a front end to addprinter, a command line utility that
creates and destroys printer queues multiple time to test whether a printer
driver can play well in a multi-user environment.

The one thing I'd advise though is not to run the utilities on a production
system. Addprinter, if you've got some suspect printer drivers, will hose
the spooler and can bend the whole o.s as a result. Always clean up any
stray local queues and reboot the test server before you use it for anything
else.

What I used to do was use PrintMig (Microsoft print migrator) to back up the
spooler configuration on a production server having problms with the
spooler, and "restore" that configuration on to a test machine, either a VM
or even just an XP workstation. That gives you the results you need without
potentially breaking anything important.

regards,

Rick

--
Ulrich Mack