[THIN] Re: Weird Authentication Issue

  • From: "Mack, Rick" <RMack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 16:25:11 +1100

Hi Linn,

Is it the authentication that fails, or is the user session left in limbo
after they enter their username password?

We've occasionally had problems where the sequence of events is fairly
similar to what you describe. However additional things are that any network
i/o dependent apps hang, and domain logins hang while local user login still
work, sort of (use taskmgr to start explorer etc).

If you run qwinsta you see a bunch of downed winstations, but TS related
activity (reset session, logoff session etc) just hangs. If you run up
srvmgr on another server, attach to the back-end file/print server and then
find and disconnect all file sessions belonging to the affected metaframe
server, it may recover.

If that's thae case, Maxmpxct and maxworkitems should be increased on the
back-end file/print server, and depending on the antivirus package running
on the back-end server, the AV settings may need to be set to check inbound
only. If you're using a NAS or SAN solution, check it's tuning to improve
I/O throughput (eg cache cluster size on IBM SAN).

Regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack
rmack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx