[THIN] Watch out: Telephone scam hitting domain owners

  • From: "Jim Kenzig http://thethin.net" <jimkenz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 08:00:11 -0500

If you own an internet domain Take Heed, although this has been out there
several months some of you may not know about it.
JK

  Watch out:  telephone scam hitting domain owners
It has come to our attention that yet another scam involving domain names is
being played on unsuspecting domain name owners. The scam involves a call
from a company calling itself the "Domain Support Group." The caller
pretends that he has information about your domain name registrations and
tries to trick you into giving him your credit card information or
registering more domain names with him.

Please do not be fooled by this scam! Dotster does not call its customers
and ask them to give credit card information over the phone. If you receive
a telephone call from "Domain Support Group," simply hang up without giving
them any information.

For more references about this scam, visit these links:
http://www.paulgraham.com/domsupgroup.html
http://www.niner.net/docs/dsg.shtml
http://www.bankersonline.com/technology/techalert_040902.html

This weeks Sponsor NetX Inc Thin Client