[THIN] W2K TS and Citrix XPe FR2 Upgrade Issues

  • From: "Jacob Walker" <ctxrulez@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 08:45:03 -0500

Recently our Citrix farm was upgraded to W2K SP3 and Citrix XPe FR2 from NT
Terminal Server.  Since that time, a few issues have arisen.

1.  A big one is printing.  Somehow, the users appear to be loading print
drivers on the servers.  We can clear out the print drivers one day, and
they come back the next.  We do have the LoadTrustedDrivers and
TrustedDriverPath entries in the
HKLM\System\CCS\Control\Print\Providers\LanMan Print Services\Servers
subkey.  However, they're loading additional drivers anyway.  Yesterday, we
made the registry setting change mentioned in XE102W029 to disable FR2's
default behavior of connecting printers directly to print servers, but the
user's are still loading drivers.  How do we stop this?  (Note:  We do have
MS hotfix 328020 installed.)

2.  When users log off, why are their printers not getting deleted
sometimes?

3.  Why do we get constant events in the application event log like this:
"MetaFrame Events 1106 - Client printer auto-creation failed.  The driver
could not be installed.  Possible reasons for the failure:" etc. etc.?  We
seem to get these every time the servers use the Universal Print Driver.
Our settings call for the server to use the universal driver only if the
local driver doesn't exist.

4.  Why do a few users generate this error message:  "The automatic
certificate enrollment subsystem could not access local resources needed for
enrollment.  Enrollment will not be performed.  (0x80070005)"?  By the way,
our users have roaming profiles.

5.  Why does every user that logs in create a key under the
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Syncmgr\Autosync key?

6.  Any idea why our users can get the following error sometimes upon
logging in, but not all the time:  "Restrictions - This operation has been
cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer.  Please contact
your system administrator."?

7.  Any idea why the login process can sometimes take 1 - 2 minutes?  When
it is taking that long, an administrator can kill the user's rundll32
process, and the user gets right in.  However, the next time the same user
logs in, the login process might not take that long.  What could cause this?

For additional information, we are running the following Citrix hotfixes:
RME102W002, RME102W005, RME102W006, XE102W003, XE102W005, XE102W012,
XE102W014, XE102W015, XE102W021, XE102W029, and XE102W036.

I know that's a lot of questions to ask in one email, but input would be
appreciated.  Right now, we wish we hadn't upgraded from NT TSE.  But, with
Microsoft's dropping support and Citrix's FR2 requiring W2K, we felt there
wasn't much of a choice.