[THIN] Virus

  • From: "Jeff Stockard" <jstockard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 09:36:52 -0400

Just a quick heads up.  I have 2 computers in 2 different networks.  I
spent a few hours trying to figure out why my accounting guy could not
get on the Internet.  I got him up and running.  Later that night a lady
from a different company ( and network ) called and said she could not
get on the Internet.  She said the bottom bar was showing badurl
grandstreetinteractive.  I looked it up on the Trend site and found
nothing, so I did a Google search and found a bunch of usenet posts
about it.  I also found a Trend link with the removal instructions.  I
got the lady all set and when I came in to the other office today, the
accounting guy said he could not get on the Internet again.  I did a
search on his PC and found the same virus file on his pc that the lady
had last night.  Wupdt.exe was the file name.  She is running Norton
2004 and he is running Trend.  In both cases this virus had installed
itself in the Anti virus software folders.  Hers was in
Symnantec\Quarantined and his was in Offscan\suspect.  When I got his
cleaned up enough to get on the Trend Micro Housecall site, I ran the
online scan.  I was watching the screen and it said it had scanned 0
files.  Then a Pop up screen came on, that said Housecall has found and
cleaned Troj_argent.c please restart your computer.
To make a short story long, we now have a virus, that tells you that it
has been removed, so please restart your computer so it can re-infect
you.
Hope this helps someone.
Jeff
Jesus Loves You