[THIN] VB App gives error on exit (XP/W2K)

  • From: gareth.hobbs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 14:46:54 +0100

Hi,

My client is on the point of going live with a VB app that we have
developed and aim to deploy on a Metaframe XP/Windows 2000 platform.

One issue remains unresolved - when exiting the application, users
occasionally (say 1 time in 5) get an application error popup. Most
times, they are as follows:

Application popup: Single import: the_app.exe - Application Error : The
instruction at "0x01000410" referenced memory at "0x02000800". The
memory could not be "written".

In the above, the "Single import" is the value of the tooltip for a
particular control in the app. Whenever this error occurs, the string
following the first colon is always a tooltip from the app.

Much less frequently, the popups are as follows:

Application popup: Add failed items to basket: the_app.exe -
Application Error : The exception Privileged instruction.
(0xc0000096) occurred in the application at location 0x08711e3a.

Application popup: Update permissions: the_app.exe - Application Error :
The exception unknown software exception (0xc000001e) occurred in the
application at location 0x08640b20.

We have implemented the errormode fix in the registry so that the users
no longer see these popups when they are exiting - they just go to the
event log. However, once in a while the user's session does not
terminate correctly and the app swamps the CPU. The session has to be
killed manually.

We are running with seamless windows and never get these errors on
exiting if running the app from a published desktop, or in a local
installation of the app.

The platform is W2K Server SP2, Metaframe XP FR2.

I'd be really grateful for any hints or ideas on this!

Many thanks,
Gareth

This weeks sponsor - RTOSoft TScale
http://www.rtosoft.com/enter.asp?id=130