[THIN] Re: UPDII

  • From: "Rick Mack" <Rick.Mack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 15:31:00 +1000

Hi People,

I had to build my first win2k systems FR3 systems ever (been doing
win2k3 since FR3 came out) and came across the issue where the native
win2k UPDII HP Color LaserJet 4500 driver is kind of ordinary.

The recommendation from Citrix (CTX089874) is to replace the existing
win2k driver with the one that ships with win2k3.

Ok. That isn't really too big a deal unless you've got lots of servers.

Download UPD_4500_win2k3.zip from www.printingsupport.com and unpack it
into a temporary driver directory.
Log on to a server, go to the printer server properties > drivers and
delete the HP Color LaserJet 4500 driver.
Now add the 2003 HP Color LaserJet 4500 from the driver temp directory.

Kind of gets boring after the first 5 or so servers.

If you're lazy or have better things to do with your time, you might
like to try:

Delete all the instances of the HP Color LaserJet 4500 in your farm:

For /f "skip=3" %i in ('qfarm /load') do rundll32.exe
printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /c\\%i /dd /m "HP Color LaserJet 4500"

Copy the printer driver directory to a network share, eg
\\server\pdrivers\updii

Then the following command will finish the job:

For /f "skip=3" %i in ('qfarm /load') do rundll32.exe
printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /c\\%i /ia /m "HP Color LaserJet 4500" /f
ntprint.inf /l \\server\pdrivers\updii

Regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack