[THIN] Re: Thin Print Vs Provision Vs Universal Vs Windows 2008

  • From: Rick Mack <ulrich.mack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 20:51:14 +1000

Hi Jim,

My apologies. I got carried away and didn't even answer your questions
properly. Got hung up on ThinPrint......

Now for your questions:

1. If the upgrade is cgoing to cost you a lot of cash I'd think of maybe not
doing it.
2. Absolutely :-)
3. XPS isn't too bad but you don't start getting real value out of it as a
generic printing solution until you've got XPS compatible network printers
etc. It's still only a partial solution and you'll end up with non-XPS and
XPS printing in your environment unless you get a real UPD solution.
4. I *love* Konica MFP devices. Their postscript drivers would have to be
the most inefficient drivers on the market and you can be absolutely certain
to sell a UPD solution to someone with Konica MFP's on their WAN. A good UPD
should allow you to select the advanced printing properties at the client
end. Most of them do that.
5. An active/passive cluster aware UPD solution is nice, but once you get
way from using non-UPD drivers on Citrix the printing stability just goes
through the roof so the only thing you've got to worry about most times is
hardware failure on the print server. Making it a multi vCPU virtual machine
isn't a bad way to go for that number of users.

regards,

Rick

--
Ulrich Mack