[THIN] TS only shop, 1 server - outlook clients - which AV protection works?

  • From: "Ron Jameson" <rjameson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:14:01 -0600

Quick question to the thin list - in a single TS server small business
(no other server in house), how are you protecting the users outlook
session from virus & spyware?  We have in the past used Norton AV
Corporate but that only protected the server and if a user received an
email infected - it would catch it when opened.

Now with norton 9 with RT pop3 scanning - I am not sure if this will
scan outlook during a session.  Tech docs on symantec do not clarify
this and my only choice is to test myself unless someone here knows
already.  There are two choices - install as a server will protect the
server but I do not believe it will protect email thru the snapin.
Install as a client only - will it protect the session of outlook for
each user?  In this type environment of fat pc's running RDP only, their
NAV protection will be unmanaged and have to get the updates on their
own and not from a central server (unless we install the system console
on a pc somewhere in the network).

Thoughts anyone?  We do not have many small clients like this, but
enough to warrant this clarification when they ask if they are
protected.

Thanks..

Ron Jameson
Hamlin Technologies