[THIN] Re: Slow performance over WAN

  • From: Jeremy Saunders <jeremy.saunders@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 19:32:10 +0800

What sort of VPN are they using? Is it 3DES? You will find that the
encryption in the tunnel is quite an overhead and significaltly slows down
the ICA traffic. Well, that's the perception anyway.

My advice would be to use a CSG server instead of VPN. CSG is also more
versatile.

But if you want to stick with VPN, make sure you are using the latest
client.

 Kind regards,
 Jeremy

 Jeremy Saunders
 Senior Systems Engineer
 ”ITS - passionate about winning”

 IBM Logicalis (Integrated
 Technology Services)
 Level 2, 1060 Hay Street
 West Perth, WA 6005, AUSTRALIA

 Visit us at
 http://www.ibm.com/services/au/its

 Phone:  132 426                    Fax:    ;  08 9261 8536
 Mobile:  TBA                       E-mail:
                                    jeremy.saunders@xxxxxxxxxxx

             Kjell Olausson
             <k.olausson@askan
             ia.se>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             thin-bounce@freel                                          cc
             ists.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       [THIN] Re: Slow performance over
             12/10/2004 07:06          WAN
             PM

             Please respond to
                   thin

I took a look at the performance counters and could see that the problem
most certainly is latency if I compare the figures with other users.

I have done the following to reduce the problem:

Server settings:
Reduced screen colors to 256.
Changed encryption from 40 to Basic

ICA Client settings:
Use data compression
Use disk cache for bitmaps
SpeedScreen Latency Reduction ON

I'm not completely sure that everyone of these steps is nessecary? Is there
something else I could check?

Regards, Kjell

 "Jeff Durbin"
 <techlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 Sänt av: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                                   Till
                                                <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                     Kopia
 2004-10-11 16:21
                                                                    Ärende
                                                [THIN] Re: Slow
            Sänd svar till                      performance over WAN
          thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

And don't forget latency. They can have all the bandwidth in the world, but
if there's a high level of latency, their session performance will be poor.
There are performance monitor counters for session latency under the 'ICA
Session' object on your Citrix servers. You could look at those to see
average latency for the problem clients.