[THIN] Re: Server Upgrade Question

  • From: "Sam Johnston" <samj@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 12:49:23 +0100

Doug,

There are two trains of thought here:

- put all your eggs in one basket with large, expensive, reliable machines
- spread the load across many, cheap, unreliable machines.

There are pros and cons of each method but when you have a sensible
load balancing mechanism (eg Citrix) the latter is certainly a viable
option (Google for example are said to have something like half a
million cheap Linux PCs and use Citrix Netscaler for at least some of
their load balancing).

In your case though you have only one machine so you want to be fairly
sure it's going to be available - consider it going down at 9am on a
Monday morning - even with next business day on site support you could
lose two days of productivity! That said if your request for server
class hardware was rejected by the bean counters it could end up being
their problem rather than yours.

While server hardware will typically perform better a lot of the low
end stuff is based on SATA drives, non-ecc memory and so on anyway
(though it's also comparable in price to high end desktop hardware).
This should make your decision fairly easy, though if by going for
desktop hardware would allow you to buy two servers rather than one
you'd have to decide whether having a backup was worth the increased
administration costs and reduced reliability.

If I were you I'd push for low end server hardware (making concessions
like SATA over SCSI) and make sure the bean counters understand and
accept the risk of downtime. Given the price of hardware I'd probably
push for two lesser machines rather than one expensive machine.

Sam

On 10/19/06, Doug Rooney <Doug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello all,

I am tasked with getting a new terminal server, we are running MS Terminal
Services and currently our 'servers' are
actually ''souped-up' Dell workstations running Win 2003, I suggested we go
for a server class machine and
I was asked by 'the powers' if it will really make that big of a difference,
So..... What do you all think?

Thank You

-Doug Rooney
Sonoma TileMakers