[THIN] Re: Satellite DSL and TS

  • From: "TheThin" <TheThin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 17:56:13 -0400

It depends on what you mean by wireless.  If it's truly satellite, it's
not going to work all that well but should function slowly.  The best
latencies I've seen on satellite are around 600ms.  This is because the
packet has to fly into space and back down, as well as the usual
earthbound routings.  The speed of an electron becomes an issue when
going into orbit.  It just takes a few hundred ms to make that trip. =20

That being said, other Wireless DSL services using Microwave technology
do work well.  These have the electron leave your office and go straight
to the proviers POP.  Find out what your providers are really doing.
Their just using the "DSL" name to get market attention and it doesn't
mean anything.  Also ask for active remote IP addresses on their network
and ping them continously from your Citrix farm for a few hours.  This
will give you a good idea what to expect in terms of latency.