[THIN] Re: Safeword for Citrix from vs. RSA SecureID Token

  • From: "Jeff Durbin" <techlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 21:36:35 +1300

Just understand that the Nfuse portion is a requirement; i.e., you can't
authenticate directly to a server using the Safeword token because the
authentication happens via IIS. No big deal if you're always going to use
Nfuse, but it doesn't secure your servers internally unless you force your
internal users to use Nfuse and prevent direct ICA to them by putting them
on a separate network seperated by a firewall that can enforce that ICA is
only allowed from the CSG machine.
  In that respect, it's really not the same as as SecurID, because the
SecurID agents can run directly on the MetaFrame servers, ensuring
two-factor authentication from any and ALL users, including the console.
  I never have actually implemented the safeword tokens. The Systems
Integrator that I worked for looked at them when they came out, and we
realized that they weren't a direct replacement for SecurID. I suppose that
if you're using them to authenticate external users only, they would be
fine, although I'm as paranoid about people being attacked from the inside
as from the outside. They are definitely cheaper though. It's just too bad
RSA doesn't get more reasonable about the pricing on SecurID. Every single
customer I've ever showed it to was willing to implement it until I told
them the price. :(