[THIN] Recommendations for TS Lic DB and Data Store

  • From: Rob Slayden <rslayden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 10:59:39 -0700

We are in the process of designing a small new farm that will start out as 5
servers (3 HP BL20p blade servers and 2 PL6400s), but has the potential to
grow into a large farm in a few months or so depending upon the user
experience. It may end up as large as 33 to 45 servers, supporting as many
as 3800+ users, with 3 published apps. The initial design will support 300
users with 2 published apps. We are kicking around ideas for the TS
Licensing database and the Citrix datastore (Access or SQL). Using the
Citrix doc (Planning Your MF Farm) to determine type of datastore, it
appears that we are LARGE for number of users, but MEDIUM for servers and
SMALL for pub apps. My gut feeling is that I want to deploy the datastore on
SQL Server 2000 and not Access, so I am equipped to grow into an
enterprise-size farm. What are the thoughts from the trenches?

The other issue is the TS Lic. Database. For 3800 devices, what kind of
hardware are you guys using and are you running this on the datastore server
or on its own dedicated hardware platform?

Any and all comments are appreciated!

Thanks!

Rob Slayden
24 Hour Fitness, Inc.