[THIN] Re: Profiles not unloading

  • From: "Rick Mack" <Rick.Mack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 08:10:05 +1000

Hi Steve,

Regmon and filemon will blow up a server if it's gets hammered too heavily.

Some versions of regmon are more "stable" than others. About 18 months ago I
tried using the then latest version and I crashed several 2003 servers. Went
back to a version I've been using for years (4.32) and had no problems. Not as
pretty, but it gives me what I want and it's reliable ;-)

As far as profile unloads are concerned, userenv debugging
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;221833) can give you
some fairly useful information, even for logout, and may point you in the right
direction. You will be looking for gaps in the timeline to indicate what to
look at.

However if it is a registry unload issue, I'm kind of surprised that UPHClean
isn't giving you some information. Having said that, a common culprit is
%userprofile%\local settings\Application data\windows\usrclass.dat which is
reponsible for the %usersid%_classes entries under HKEY_USERS or
HKCU\Software\Classes.

If you're using folder redirection, then don't forget that the user profile
consists of files and directories as well. Had a customer recently with major
logoff delay issues that turned out to be due to mishandling of the coookies
folder and opportunistic locking on the server hosting the redirected folder.

At any rate, process explorer (sysinternals) is probably the tool of choice to
try and find out what's stuck, but filemon and regmon will give you good
background information on the processes involved.

regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack
Volante Systems