[THIN] Re: Printing Support on an old Farm

  • From: "Mack, Rick" <Rick.Mack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 10:11:20 +1000

Hi,

There is a limited amount of kernel memory available for printer
drivers. Many printer drivers don't unload from memory until session
that loaded them logs off. If the memory quota for printer drivers is
exceeded, new ones won't load.

TSE and the latest TSE-safe HP printer drivers have a major problem,
their size. If HP had just fixed the TSE unfriendly drivers without
bloating them with all that "wonderful" functionality, life would be
sweet. Instead we've got drivers that consist of over 10+ DLLs, that use
heaps more memory than native drivers, and that can create some
interesting problems when there isn't any room for any more.

The only fix is to use smaller drivers, or a smaller number of drivers.

Use native TSE drivers wherever possible. Some manufacturers like
Lexmark actually have "slim" drivers, available on request that are
specifically designed for terminal servers. It's quite easy to use an HP
4000 series driver for the 4100/4050 etc printers to reduce the total
number of drivers used. Where you need support for additional
functionality (multi-bin printers etc) use postscript drivers. It's
really quite easy to graft a win2k driver PPD file into a TSE compatible
PS driver package.=20

Regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack