[THIN] Re: Performance Monitor Counter Recommendations

  • From: "Matt Kosht" <matt.kosht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 13:29:52 -0500

I couldn't find an elegant solution for this.  Best I did was setup on
the ICA latency logging side, tasks that kick off after most users have
logged in this way the log catches most (though not all) users.  This
was further complicated by the clients Alaska users (4 hours behind
Eastern time) coming on much later. So I had to setup and AM log and a
PM log to catch them too.
 The ICA latency alerts I haven't been able to get a clean solution
for.  You could use a Perl program or something that can process text
well to scan the log for high latency periodically then mail you an
alert.  I haven't gotten that ambitious though.  I may try this soon. If
I do I will post the source.
-Matt

>>> scave@xxxxxxxxxxx 3/9/2004 11:31:46 AM >>>
We have a small Citrix farm with two Compaq ML370 servers and about 20
users on Metaframe XP.  I'd like to set-up Performance Monitor with
basic counters and alerts on both servers.  Since our user load is
fairly low I don't think I need much more than a half-dozen counters
but
I would appreciate recommendations for the best counters to use for
general performance of the servers.  My research so far has led to the
following counters (and associated thresholds for alerts):
Memory: Available Mbytes (<4 MB), and Pages/sec (>20)
Processor: Total % Processor Time (>85%), Processor Queue Length (>2),
and Interrupts/sec (>4,000)
Terminal Services/ICA: ICA Session Latency (>100  - we have internal
users who avg <10 and external users avg 60 - 70)

The problem with the last one, ICA Session Latency avg, is that the
counter is based on the ICA Session # and therefore requires an admin
continually update the list with the new session counters.  Does
anyone
know how to automate this?

Thank you in advance for any help or recommendations.

Scott Cave
KFR Services, Inc.
Summerville, SC
scave@xxxxxxxxxxx
(843) 873-9200 x7119

This weeks sponsor triCerat Inc.
triCerat makes your job easier by offering essential
applications to eliminate your printing, policy and profile,
and your application management problems.
http://www.triCerat.com