[THIN] Re: Outlook PST Files

  • From: "Michael Pardee" <pardeemp.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 09:17:34 -0400

We have around 4500 users accessing way too many PST files through
Outlook2003 through MetaframeXP sessions on Windows2003.  Backend clusters
are Windows2003 with 32TB of HP EVA SAN storage.  As much as I really
dislike PST files (we are researching archiving solutions now) they work for
all of our folks and probably account for close to 30% of all of our SAN
storage.  Nobody gets rid of anything here.

The only time we have ever had issues accessing PST files is after one of
the upgrades to the Citrix environment.  I can't remember if it was a SP,
hotfix or bios/firmware on the IBM Blades, but a bunch of them (they all
have 4GB of RAM) started "seeing" all 4GB at the OS level instead of the
usual 3.6GB they used to show.  Outlook has an issue opening PST files if
there is 4GB or more available to the OS.  There is a Microsoft KB article
about it and we ended up throttling back the RAM via boot.ini until we got
it as close to 4GB without actually hitting it.  It was not the MAXMEM
parameter but a different one that was recommended.  If you this this may be
your issue let me know and I'll go digging for exactly what we did.

Not sure if this is your issue or not but I figured it couldn't hurt.

On 5/1/06, Turman, David C. <david_turman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    No extra devices, (VOIP, FAX, PDA, etc) but those registry keys do
exist.