[THIN] Re: Office 2003 Questions

  • From: "Jeremy Thomas" <jeremy.thomas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 09:34:37 +0200

Hi Christian,

I havn't been through an upgrade from Office 2000 to 2003 on the same
servers, but I would have thought that this would be relatively
painless, given that generally, Office seems to improve with every
release, and document compatibility seems also to be improving. I'd say
2000 to 2003 is a relatively minor upgrade, but that's based on my own
experiences at home and being on the perifery of corporate upgrades for
the past 8 years.

IIRC, you can set a lot more office settings through GPO with 2003 than
you could with 2000. You'll find the relevant ADM templates in the
Office 2003 resource kit, and you can download these from Microsoft.

General advice for Office: I would have thought that a straight upgrade
would be the way to go. You should of course test this, and watch out
for anything containing Macros. Also, the file format could change. For
Word 97 to Word 2000, this results in an increase in filesize. Look out
for this - you might need to increase your fileserver space. Check out
the MS Access runtime. We run all our "legacy" databases with an office
97 runtime. It works fine on the same servers that have Office 2003
installed.

Test properly of course, but I don't think you'll see any major issues
with standard roaming profiles.

Jez.