[THIN] Re: OT: Microsoft Virtual PC

  • From: "John Price" <jprice@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 10:16:45 -0500

Easy and quick way to configure a lab:

I used Connectix to set up our Windows 2003 virtual lab, so I will just det=
ail the OS configurations as VMWare and Microsoft's Virtual PC 2004 will pr=
obably be a little different.

1.      Create a new Virtual Machine with Windows 2000 or 2003 Server. This
will=
 be your base image.
2.      Configure the server in a Workgroup environment.
3.      Service pack and patch the server.
4.      Activate windows (Win 2003)
5.      Extract the deploy.cab file from the support tools folder on the
Windows=
 Server CD to the system32 directory on the VM.
6.      Run sysprep and check the box labeled "Don't reset grace period for
acti=
vation" then click on the "reseal" button.
7.      Shut down the VM. If the MV starts to reboot, shut it down. You must do
=
step 8 before sysprep is allowed to run on bootup.
8.      Copy the VM image to a central (safe) location. This will now be your
"G=
oldenBoy" image. This image is now waiting on a reboot and will run sysprep=
 on bootup.
9.      Copy the GoldenBoy image to your VM folder and rename it to whatever
you=
 would like.
10.     Create a new VM image and point it to the new file.
11.     Start the new VM, it will start running sysprep and prompt you for uniq=
ue information such as computer name, IP settings, etc*
12.     Let the VM reboot after sysprep is done.
13.     When new VM reboots, it will have a new name and new SID. After your ba=
se image is configured and saved, you can create new VM's from GoldenBoy in=
 about 5 minutes each.=20

After GoldenBoy is created, you should be able to setup a VM network of sev=
en to ten servers in less than an hour. All servers will come up as stand-a=
lone servers, you can then configure them how you like, install AD, Citrix,=
 Exchange, etc*

John

>>> philip.walley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 3/17/2004 7:53:02 AM >>>
If you are a MSDN subscriber, it is in the downloads. I've been toying
with it for a few weeks now. I like it a lot. It's pretty much a
Miscrosofted Vmware for the workstation. I have set up 3 distros of
linux and 2 windows versions in it and they all work fine. It seems to
me like it would be a good tool for help desk as well as for lab testing
(if you don't have a lab like me).=3D20

=3D20
Philip Walley=3D20
Sr. Network Engineer=3D20