[THIN] Re: OT Is there a Sharepoint guru in the house?

  • From: Dogers <dogers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 10:39:21 +0000

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 08:51:38 -0000, Angus Macdonald
<Angus.Macdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've just been landed with a broken Sharepoint Portal server, about which I
> know absolutely nothing. As far as I can tell the main database is intact
> but after a power failure all our subsites seem to have vanished. Sharepoint
> admin still has links to them but I can find no evidence of the site folders
> at all. The database is backed up but I've a feeling the sharepoint server
> isn't (as far as I was aware it was just an experimental server - now it
> turns out the Finance dept have been filling it up with vital reports). So,
> could anyone point me to laymans sharepoint troubleshooting advice?

Not a guru, but I've poked around sharepoint a little :)

You should have TWO databases, theyre called STS_Config and
STS_SERVERNAME_1 here. You might want to check the logs of whatever DB
server is holding them - it's MSDE if nothing was specified, or SQL
Server wasnt available.

The one with the name in it is the more important one, as thats the
one that stores the docs! On our experimental setup which has rarely,
if ever, been used, they total about 12Mb..

Andrew
This Weeks Sponsor: RTO Software TScale
Services running Windows NT, 2000 or 2003.
http://www.rtosoft.com/enter.asp?id=296