[THIN] Re: Need some help with W2K+Citrix XPe/FR2 farm redeisgn

  • From: Brian Murphy <bem9127@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 11:09:12 -0700 (PDT)

Most of these issues can be fixed at the network
hardware layer.

A.  Make sure you are using switches for your servers.
 Make sure all your server network cards are HARDCODED
for 100 FULL.  Make sure your switch is HARDCODED for
100 FULL on the switch and all ports.

B.  Move to switches on the clients.  Take all the
clients that are 10MB and move them to a dedicated
10MB switch.  Move all the 100 MB clients to dedicated
100 MB switches.  Hardcode the clients and the
switches to 100MB FULL.

Optional Step:  Download the latest network card
driver for all your systems and make sure your
switches have the latest firmware update.

C.  Move SQL Server to dedicated box and verify you
have SQL optimized.  (Search google for "optimize
SQL") Make sure the SQL Server is set to "Network
Applications" on File and Print Sharing Properties.
If you insist on running MSDE you can simply move this
to a dedicated workstation instead of server.  The
point is that it's dedicated (aka...not performing any
other duties).

D.  Switch to AD (Mixed mode for now).  Have at least
two AD Controllers.  Split the FSMOs and AD Integrated
DNS on both controllers.

E.  Use GPO to lighten the Profiles (REDIRECT all the
folders you don't require in the roaming profile).

F.  Make sure users are NOT saving any documents,
files, etc... to their Desktops.  They should be
mapping a Home Directory on a dedicated file share for
this purpose.  This will slow your logon time
significantly.

This will solve most of the problems you described.

-MURPHY, MCSE, MCSA, CCA, CCNA
Murphy Consulting Services

--- sksippy <sksippy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Hope that this excellent resource can help with my
> current redesign =
> problem.
>
> Current System: 1 PDC, RAID5 with 1 redundant drive
> (also used as data
> store), 3xMFXPe/FR2  application servers (Access
> based IMA), 130 =
> terminals
> (all PC - 80% 100Mbps, 20% 10Mbps), 1xAxis CD-ROM
> Server, broadband =
> internet
> access
>
> PDC also executes MS SQL Data Engine based server
> app. All Citrix =
> servers
> 1Gb RAM, RAID 1, DC is 512MB. Each server has a
> single 3com 3c980 at =
> full
> duplex 100Mbps.
>
> 30 users with roaming profiles. Rest use roaming
> mandatory profiles. Do =
> not
> delete cached copies of profiles as think this will
> add to current =
> problems.
>
> Current problems: Slow logon, slow response on SQL
> application =
> (generally no
> more than 2 users) - overall network performance
> approx 50% less than
> previous NT4/TSE (main difference there was no SQL
> app on the NT/TSE
> system), but degradation particularly noticeable at
> logon time when say =
> 30
> users are already logged in and 30 users are
> attempting to log on
> simultaneously, balance login and logoff during rest
> of school day-50% =
> users
> have IE6 browser open, most use MS Office, 20% use
> other educational =
> apps.
>
> Proposed Solution:=20
>
> Current thoughts:
>
> 1. Add secondary DC - Does authentication process
> get 'balanced' between =
> DCs
> or do we need to introduce Microsoft Network Load
> balancing (NLB) to =
> achieve
> this? Any advice if introducing a secondary DC will
> reduce logon time?
>
> 2. Move User data to SAN device or another W2K
> server? - cost difference
> very pertinent as site is primary school in England
> - very low budgets.
>
> 3. Also should template profile source - maximum 3
> types - also reside =
> on a
> separate W2K server?
>
> 4. Move SQL MSDE to another W2K server - this will
> definitely help =
> reduce
> the load on the current primary DC/data store - so
> going to do this =
> anyway.
>
> Your suggestions:
>
> Would be a great help if this was given some thought
> and welcome any
> [...]

=====
Brian Murphy, MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA, CCA
bem9127@xxxxxxxxx
469-223-1621 Cell
"If you are not the intended recipient, or an authorized agent of the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this information is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this
message by error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this email."