[THIN] Re: More than 15 anonymous accounts on MFXP/Windows 2000 server

  • From: "Jim Kenzig http://Kenzig.com" <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 08:11:37 -0800 (PST)

When you say you created the account manually were you making a copy of the
15th anonymous account and renaming it or creating one from scratch?   I was
always able to just create all the accounts I wanted by making a copy, reboot
and it worked.
  JK

Lennart Koschella <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Hello!

I know I wrote about this topic before, but I want to share and discuss the
(weird) solution with you:

One of our servers host an anonymous published application which works as
long as there are no more than 15 concurrent *anonymous* users per server.
The 16th user gets a login screen.

According to Citrix article CTX153078, more anonymous accounts are created
dynamically as soon as they are needed. This is valid for Windows
2000/Metaframe XP servers like ours. But this mechanism fails, the logon
window is displayed instead. (The reg key "MaxAnonymousUsers" mentioned in
the Citrix document is still set to its default value of 99.) At first, I
tried to create more AnonXXX accounts manually, but the 16th user still
gets a logon screen. He can use this AnonXXX account though, but of course
this is not what we want.

The solution: Despite our Windows 2000 servers I tried out the solution for
Windows 2003 servers mentioned in this Citrix article... AND IT WORKS:

"The 15th anonymous user logs on (that is the number of users MetaFrame
creates when it is installed) and the 16th user is created but cannot logon
immediately. After restarting the server, the 16th account is available for
use but the same happens with the 17th user (the account is created but it
is only usable after restarting the server)."

So I called this application 16 times, rebooted the server, called it again
17 times, rebooted ths server again... now I'm at #29.

Ctirix writes "The enhanced security features, by design, in Windows 2003
cause this issue", but why do we have this issue on a Windows 2000 server?
Could it be that one of the security hotfixes prevents the server from
adding more anonymous accounts dynamically as documented by Citrix?

With kind regards,

Lennart Koschella
System Adminstrator
University Hospital Tuebingen/Germany