[THIN] Re: MF dependancy on windows browsing

  • From: Chris Fraser <chrisfraser@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 08:48:29 -0800

Have a look at CTX026332

I ran into an odd issue this summer with a small farm of Win2k3 servers in 2 zones on 2 subnets. Basically qfarm would always show the servers in the remote zone as offline but all servers in the local zone as online. There were also issues configuring PAs in the CMC on remote-zone servers. We verified communication, that DNS was working and that the firewall was not blocking any required ports.

In the end we solved the problem by adding WINS entries to the ipconfig on all servers. I think it was actually the NetBIOS Node Type change from 'undefined' to 'Hybrid' that fixed it so I don't think a 'real' WINS server would need to be specified.

Adam.Baum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi All,

How does MF make use of Windows browsing?

Here the situation:  We had an ip config problem on two NT4 servers which
got into a browser election war with our PDC emulator.  This has happened
three times before and has now been fixed.  It took me a while to find the
offenders.   Besides the three servers just mentioned, the only servers
that suffered an adverse reaction were those running Metaframe.  Pure TS
servers didn't seem to notice.  So why is MF affected and only MF?

adam

http://www.seamlessplanet.com
********************************************************** Useful Thin Client Computing Links are available at:
http://www.thinwiki.com