[THIN] Re: Load Balancing across Zones

  • From: "cherie.watts" <cherie.watts@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 09:19:43 +1000

Hi Brian

I am running PS XP.

I have not previously published applications across zones due to poor WAN links.

The WAN links between our 2 datacentres is now gibabit and we are looking at
Publishing apps across the two datacentres for high availability.

I know that within a zone the DC maintains a list of the loads for all servers
in the zone. Specifically they update the Load Bias when new connections are
established. I also understand that the ZDC talk to each other and share the
load values as well.

But does a ZDC update the load bias for a server that is not in it's zone? Is a
user more likely to be directed to a server within the zone, of the ZDC the
client talks to?
Am I likely to get 10 users on server A in Zone 1 and 20 users on Servers B and
C in Zone 2?

I think during low activity periods this would not be an issue, but what about
the morning rush?

Thanks for sharing the Intel.

Cheers

Cherie Watts