[THIN] Licensing question

  • From: "Landin, Mark" <Mark.Landin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 14:35:17 -0500

Got something strange going on. Have 100 CCU's for MPS 3.0 Enterprise,
with the license server running on a Windows 2003 Standard R2 domain
controller. We've lately been having issues with hung sessions, and
while I think we have that straightened out, I don't think our license
server has the correct count of checked out licenses. Looking Terminal
Services Manager, we see about 78 sessions currently active in the farm,
but the license console says we are using 90+ licenses. Looking at the
output of lmstat, we see license checkouts that occurred before our last
regular farm reboot (which should have taken our license count to 0,
since nobody was on the farm at that time).

So, assuming for the moment that the license manager itself has the
wrong count, what's the easiest way to get this count back in line? Can
one shutdown the license service, then bring it back up? What happens to
active Citrix sessions during that time? Could we just do an "lmremove
-all" command to release all licenses? The document "Using License
Administration Commands"
(http://support.citrix.com/servlet/KbServlet/download/10202-102-15330/li
cense_admin_cmds.pdf) says of lmremove:

"This command can be run against a specific license file or all of the
license files in a directory. If you run lmremove against all of the
license files in a directory and there are licenses in that directory
that the Citrix product is currently using, the product checks out the
licenses it was using again shortly after lmremove releases them."

Has anyone put this statement to the test? How would doing this impact
the users with active sessions? Is there a better way to get the license
manager back into synv with reality, or do we need to wait until after
hours to restart the license daemon at the same time we reboot the farm?