[THIN] Re: KB: CTX101644 - Seamless Exception Registry Flags

  • From: Adam.Baum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 08:08:24 -0700

So what exactly do these do?  I understand some of them, such as #14, but
what do the rest really mean in real world experiences?
adam

|         |           "Jim Kenzig      |
|         |           Kenzig.com"      |
|         |           <jkenzig@xxxxxxxx|
|         |           m>               |
|         |           thin-bounce@freel|
|         |           ists.org         |
|         |           07/02/2005 08:00 |
|         |           thin             |

  |       To:       thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                 |
  |       cc:
                                                 |
  |       Subject:  [THIN] KB: CTX101644 - Seamless Exception Registry Flags

CTX101644 - Seamless Exception Registry Flags

This document was published at:
http://support.citrix.com/kb/entry.jspa?externalID=CTX101644

Document ID: CTX101644, Created on: Mar 17, 2003, Updated: Jun 30, 2005

Products: Citrix MetaFrame XP 1.0 for Microsoft Windows 2000

 Symptoms

 This document outlines the currently available Server Seamless Engine
 Exception Registry Flags that can be used to control specific behavior of
 an Application's Windows when run in an ICA Seamless Session. There are 2
 sections, Global and per Specified Window. The contents of this document
 are subject to change at any time.

 Global Registry Flags

 NOTE: These values affect all Seamless connections to a Server and require
 changing the value of only one specific Registry key. If more than one of
 these flags are needed, then add them together as follows.

 For example to use Flags 1 and 8 below, the value for SeamlessFlags would
 be 0x1 + 0x200 = 0x201.

 Or if you wanted to use Flags 1, 8 and 9 then the value for SeamlessFlags
 would be 0x1+0x200+0x400 = 0x601.

 Registry Key: HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Citrix/wfshell/TWI

 Value Name: SeamlessFlags

 Value Type: REG_DWORD

 Values: See 1 through 15 Below

 1. DISABLE SESSION SHARING

 Value: 0x1

 Explanation: Determines if each Seamless connection to the server uses
 Session Sharing. Use this Flag to Disable Session Sharing. Without this
 Registry Value set, or setting this value to 0x0 enables Session Sharing.

 Required: MF 1.8 SP4 for TSE - MF 1.8 SP4 for Win2K - MF XP 1.0 SP3 for
 Win2k or Win2k3 - MF XP 1.0 SP2 for TSE, MPS 3.0 for Win2k, MPS 3.0 for
 Win2k3.

 2. DISABLE MODALITY CHECK

 Value: 0x2

 Explanation: Specifies that the ICA client will not perform a Modality
 check. The owner window of a Modal Dialog can be moved, although input
 focus will remain on the Modal Dialog. This is useful when running an
 application such as PaintShop Pro Ver 6 in a Seamless session. Without
 this Registry Value set, or setting this value to 0x0 specifies that the
 ICA client will perform a Modality check on Seamless windows.

 Required: MF 1.8 SP4 for TSE - MF 1.8 SP4 for Win2K - MF XP 1.0 SP3 for
 Win2k or Win2k3, MF XP 1.0 SP2 for TSE, MPS 3.0 for Win2k, MPS 3.0 for
 Win2k3.

 3. DISABLE ACTIVE ACCESSIBILITY HOOK

 Value: 0x4

 Explanation: Determines if the Seamless Engine will load its Active
 Accessibility hook in a Seamless session. By default the Seamless Engine
 uses a technique called event hooking to monitor any changes made to an
 applicationâs windows on the server and sends these changes to the ICA
 Client. Wfshell.exe loads the DLL, sehook20.dll. Without this Registry
 Value set, or setting this value to 0x0 specifies that Active
 Accessibility is enabled.

 Required: MF 1.8 SP4 for TSE - MF 1.8 SP4 for Win2K - MF XP 1.0 SP3 for
 Win2k, or Win2k3, MF XP 1.0 SP2 for TSE, MPS 3.0 for Win2k, MPS 3.0 for
 Win2k3.

 4. SUPPORT ZERO SIZED WINDOWS

 Value: 0x8

 Explanation: Specifies that any applications that create zero-sized
 windows will be reported to the ICA client and will be re-created as
 zero-sized windows on the client. Some applications use zero-sized windows
 to enforce windows modality relationships. Without this Registry Value
 set, or setting this value to 0x0 specifies that zero-sized windows will
 not be reported or created on the client.

 Required: MF 1.8 SP4 for TSE - MF 1.8 SP4 for Win2K - MF XP 1.0 SP3 for
 Win2k or Win2k3, MF XP 1.0 SP2 for TSE, MPS 3.0 for Win2k, MPS 3.0 for
 Win2k3.

 5. ENABLE COLOR SYNC

 Value: 0x10

 Explanation: Specifies that the Seamless session will inherit the client
 system color settings. This may cause problems with some applications when
 the color scheme used on the client is not fully supported by the server.
 Without this Registry Value set, or setting this value to 0x0 specifies
 that the Seamless session will not inherit the client system color
 settings.

 Required: MF 1.8 SP4 for TSE - MF 1.8 SP4 for Win2K - MF XP 1.0 SP3 for
 Win2k or Win2k3, MF XP 1.0 SP2 for TSE, MPS 3.0 for Win2k, MPS 3.0 for
 Win2k3.

 6. DISABLE SYSTRAY AGENT

 Value: 0x20

 Explanation: Specifies that the System Tray agent in a Seamless session
 will not be created. The System Tray agent allows an application that uses
 the System Tray, using the Shell_NotifyIcon API, to be sent to the ICA
 clientâs System Tray. Without this Registry Value set, or setting this
 value to 0x0 specifies that System Tray agent in a Seamless session will
 be created.

 Required: MF 1.8 SP4 for TSE - MF 1.8 SP4 for Win2K - MF XP 1.0 SP3 for
 Win2k or Win2k3, MF XP 1.0 SP2 for TSE, MPS 3.0 for Win2k, MPS 3.0 for
 Win2k3.

 7. DISABLE ICONIC WINDOWS

 Value: 0x80

 Explanation: Specifies that iconic windows will not be sent to the ICA
 client. This may improve performance slightly, however setting it can
 cause problems with applications such as MS Office when run in a Seamless
 session. For example, the applicationâs icon may not be visible when it is
 minimized on the local Client Taskbar. Without this Registry Value set, or
 setting this value to 0x0, specifies that iconic windows are sent to the
 ICA client.

 Required: MF 1.8 SP4 for TSE - MF 1.8 SP4 for Win2K - MF XP 1.0 SP3 for
 Win2k or Win2k3, MF XP 1.0 SP2 for TSE, MPS 3.0 for Win2k, MPS 3.0 for
 Win2k3.

 8. DISABLE WM_QUERYDRAGICON MESSAGES

 Value: 0x200

 Explanation: Specifies that the Seamless engine will not send
 WM_QUERYDRAGICON messages to application windows to obtain the Icons
 associated with them. Without this Registry Value set, or setting this
 value to 0x0, the Seamless engine will send these messages to application
 windows to get the Icons associated with them.

 Required: MF 1.8 SP4 for TSE - MF 1.8 SP4 for Win2K - MF XP 1.0 SP3 for
 Win2k or Win2k3, MF XP 1.0 SP2 for TSE, MPS 3.0 for Win2k, MPS 3.0 for
 Win2k3.

 9. FORCE RAW MOUSE EVENTS TO SERVER

 Value: 0x400

 Explanation: Specifies that the ICA client will send raw mouse event
 messages to the server. This is useful, when running an application
 developed using the Borland IDE, which allows the creation of dialog boxes
 that behave like a modal dialog box, but its parent window still responds
 to certain types of window messages, like WM_SETFOCUS. Without this
 Registry Value set, or setting this value to 0x0, specifies that the ICA
 client will send regular translated mouse event messages to the server.

 Required: ICA Win32 Client version 6.31 or later - MF 1.8 SP4 for TSE - MF
 1.8 SP4 for Win2K - MF XP 1.0 SP3 for Win2k or Win2k3, MF XP 1.0 SP2 for
 TSE, MPS 3.0 for Win2k, MPS 3.0 for Win2k3.

 10. DISABLE FULL WINDOW DRAG

 Value: 0x800

 Explanation: Specifies that the Windows feature "Full Window Drag" can be
 disabled. This may be necessary for some non-standard applications.
 Without this Registry Value set, or setting this value to 0x0 specifies
 this Windows feature is enabled.

 Required: MF XP 1.0 SP3 for Win2k or Win2k3, MPS 3.0 for Win2k, MPS 3.0
 for Win2k3.

 11. FORCE MENU WINDOW TO HAVE OWNER

 Value: 0x1000

 Explanation: Specifies that Menu Windows will always be re-created on the
 ICA client with an owner window.

 Required: International versions of MF XP SP3 for Win2k or Win2k3, Post MF
 XP SP3 English Hotfix XE103W2K126 for Win2k or later, post MF XP SP3
 English Hotfix XE103W2K3037 for Win2k3 or later, MPS 3.0 for Win2k, MPS
 3.0 for Win2k3.

 12. DISABLE SHELL HOOK AGENT

 Value: 0x2000

 Explanation: Instant Messenger type programs commonly use the
 FlashWindow() API to flash the taskbar button to alert users of incoming
 messages. After applying the updates listed below in the 'Required'
 section, support for the FlashWindow() API is added and turned on by
 default.

 Setting the Global Seamless registry value (0x2000) disables this default
 behavior.

 Required: Post MF XP SP3 English Hotfix XE103W2K126 for Win2k or later,
 post MF XP SP3 English Hotfix XE103W2K3037 for Win2k3 or later, MPS 3.0
 for Win2k, MPS 3.0 for Win2k3.

 13. DISABLE CLIENT INFO SYNC

 Value: 0x4000

 Explanation: Some custom applications that did not display properly when
 running on Windows XP/2000 with the Windows XP Theme enabled sometimes saw
 the same behavior when running as a seamless application on MetaFrame XP
 Feature Release 3 on Windows 2003 that does not have the Windows XP Theme
 enabled. For example, the title bar of the application is larger in
 height.

 Starting with MetaFrame XP Feature Release 3 for Windows 2000/2003, the
 server seamless engine has extended support for certain window style
 properties of the workstation where the seamless application is running;
 for example, the styles generated by Windows XP Themes.

 This new seamless global registry flag, when set, instructs the
 server-side seamless engine not to read certain client workstation window
 style information.

 Set the following server-side registry key to instruct the server seamless
 engine not to synchronize with the client's window style that pertains to
 those representative of the Windows XP Theme:

 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Citrix\wfshell\TWI

 Name: SeamlessFlags
 Type: REG_DWORD
 Value: 0x4000

 Custom applications that do not display properly when running on Windows
 XP/2000 with the Windows XP Theme enabled can be run in a seamless session
 from a workstation that has the Windows XP Theme enabled and be displayed
 using the Windows Classic style.

 Required: Post MF XP SP3 English Hotfix XE103W2K126 for Win2k or later,
 post MF XP SP3 English Hotfix XE103W2K3037 for Win2k3 or later, MPS 3.0
 for Win2k with Hotfix MPSE300W2K006 or later, MPS 3.0 for Win2k3 with
 Hotfix MPSE300W2K3017 or later.

 14. Job Object

 Explanation: If a published application was a program that created a new
 process and then terminated itself, the published application appeared in
 the Management Console for MetaFrame XP. However, in a seamless session
 the application was launched through session sharing, the application
 appeared in the Management Console but then disappeared.

 By default, the thread that checks the process cares about only the first
 instance of the launched process. The thread regarded the published
 application as terminated when the first instance of the process was
 terminated even if that process created a separate process.

 This update provides a way to configure those published applications to
 use the JOB object so that additional processes created by the initial
 process are considered as published applications.

 For this update to work properly, you need to perform the following steps:

 If the command line of the published application is [ApplicationPath], go
 to the following registry key and make changes as necessary:

 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Citrix\wfshell\TWI\Sta
 rtInJobObject
 Key Value: [ApplicationPath]
 Type: DWORD
 Value: 0

 For example, if the command line specified for the published application
 is c:\notepad.cmd, go to the following registry key and make changes as
 necessary:

 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Citrix\wfshell\TWI\Sta
 rtInJobObject
 Key Value: c:\notepad.cmd
 Type: DWORD
 Value: 0

 For those applications whose command line is specified in the
 StartInJobObject key, the published application will not disappear from
 the Management Console until all of the processes created by the process
 are terminated.

 Required: Post MF XP SP3 English Hotfix XE103W2K126 for Win2k or later,
 post MF XP SP3 English Hotfix XE103W2K3037 for Win2k3 or later, MPS 3.0
 for Win2k, MPS 3.0 for Win2k3.

 15. Worker Wait Interval

 Explanation: This update addresses a custom application's performance when
 run seamlessly. Some applications appeared to be slower to respond when
 performing actions such as moving, resizing, or closing windows. This fix
 introduces two new registry settings that allow administrators to
 configure an explicit time interval for the seamless engine mechanism to
 monitor when changes take place in the seamless applications.

 Create the following two registry keys:

 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Citrix\wfshell\TWI
 Key: WorkerWaitInterval
 Type: REG_DWORD
 Value: <Number of milliseconds allowed> (Values are between 5 â 500; the
 default is 50.)

 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Citrix\wfshell\TWI
 Key: WorkerFullCheckInterval