[THIN] Re: ICA over the web

  • From: "Jeff Durbin" <techlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 06:59:12 -0700

Think of the Web Interface as Program Neighborhood in a browser, and Secure
Gateway as a proxy for the ICA session. They're two different types of
communication. You can use WI with an SSL cert (but don't have to), so that
communication is encrypted, and you don't need Secure Gateway for that. When
the actual ICA session is initiated between the client and the MetaFrame
server, that traffic is unencrypted TCP traffic on port 1494. If you add
Secure Gateway to the equation, the ICA session is proxied through SG
instead, so that traffic then is over 443 encrypted by SSL.
  Bear in mind that there are a few more types of communication between
DMZ/LAN that are not secure by default, but can be secured using SSL:

- The WI talks to the MetaFrame farm over port 80 to the XML service
- The WI talks to the STA over port 80
- The SG talks to the STA over port 80
- The SG talks to the MetaFrame farm over TCP 1494 (but this can also be 443
using SSL Relay)

  This is all assuming you have a single-stage DMZ. If you have a two-stage
DMZ, there are even more components, but they can all be secured using SSL.
Check out the WI/SG documentation - they're very good.

JD